Friday, August 5, 2011

Gestaltism or Processism?

One thing that has held me back, I think, from appreciating Gestalt Psychology is the name.  Is it a whole separate psychology from traditional psychology?  What does gestalt mean, anyway?  Google Translate gives seven (!) options as translations for gestalt: form, shape, frame, build, figure, character, and person.  Although people use the word gestalt ("You've got to look at the whole gestalt!") it doesn't have an intrinsic meaning for me like a word in English does.  At the very least, I've got to translate it in my mind.  I have a love for words that end with -ism (see Peter Saint-Andre's Ism book).  The ideas of the Gestalt Psychologists make up an emphasis, a theory, and an approach.   Then, of course, there is the problem of Gestalt Therapy.  It is certainly influenced by Gestalt Psychology, but by other theories as well.  So, I'm going to think of Gestalt Psychology as similar to structuralism, functionalism, and behaviorism, and call it processism, in my own mind.  The word processism is used in Philosophy, but so are the other ones.  I know that process doesn't capture all of what Wertheimer, Lewin, Koffka, Kohler and the others were trying to say, but it is the best that I can come up with.  Does anyone have any other ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment